Lisa and her Underdog

Lisa and her Underdog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Conspiracy 102: Now that you've admitted you're a nut, let's talk aliens:

           Are we alone in the world? A question that has been debated since.....yep, that long. There are countless books,blogs, and shows that take each side. If you don't agree with what they are saying at least there is some great entertainment. Come on, I love "ET." This is just going to focus on the conspiracy behind why I believe in aliens. A first,  in what I'm sure will be a lovely series. I'm going to stretch it out a little bit before the CIA gets me. This time.
                                      

                                    So, do I believe in aliens?
                              Short answers: Yes. Long answer: Yes.
     
            There are many reasons to believe in aliens. The first of which is simple math. We have no idea how big this universe is. We can guess, but it has never been measured. We don't know if this is the only universe or if we are just the pin point on a much larger scale. So, just out of sheer probability we are not alone and it would be very vain to believe that we are.
      
                          
              So, why besides math do I think that aliens exist? The number one answer is TV. If you think about it, about every 20 years or so there seems to be a big push for alien story lines. There was the whole Area 51 thing in the sixties. What I remember the most is the big push in the eighties. A run down of big shows with a alien base back in the eighties were: "Alf, Alien Nation, The X-Files, Alien Autopsy," to name a few.
          
               During this time I was around 10 years old and I become convinced that an alien life form was either going to come to get me, or had somehow switched places with my parents. Saying that I was preoccupied was an understatement. I literally was so afraid that an alien would come and get me while I was in my bed, that I stopped sleeping. I slept on the floor of my parent's room, or outside my brothers room on the floor (i was still not that desperate to sleep on the floor of his room..eww) or under my bed.

       I believe that there are two reasons that a big media push happens on one particular subject. The first and most obvious is the very thing they are pushing is real, and is happening right now. The coverage is news or a reflection of what is going on in society at that moment. The second reason is a distraction. If you make a big enough fuss about one thing, it's very easy to focus on that, and not see what is going on right in front of you. I think that the alien push has been both depending on what was needed, or what was going on at that time.

           One of the biggest things that set me over the edge of questioning, to out and out believing, happened because of a cartoon, "American Dad." Sounds crazy. It is. But my reasons aren't just because I really enjoy the character of Roger and wished that I had a cross-dressing, Paul Lynn voiced alien living in my house. That, no doubt, would be a blast. Roger the Alien is a fictional character from one of my writing heroes. I know he is not real. But when I was that scared 10 year old girl, I was afraid at one very large chunk of that time, that there was an aliening living in my attic.

                    Part of that reason is that even to this day, I have never been in the attic of the house I grew up in. My Dad told us that it was dangerous, and we shouldn't play up there.In fact, we have to stay away from it completely.  Well, we were short, and thanks to TV, has a short attention span, so we didn't try to grab the cord and pull down the steps that lead into the land of the unknown. So that coupled with my "active imagination," made for some great freak outs. I would sometimes sit and watch that attic door waiting for the alien to push open the door, and walk down the dusty stairs. I was waiting for him to tell me, " Hey, Lisa you were right the whole time. I'm the alien that has been watching you, and I'm the one that switched places with your parents. I'm the reason that you can't sleep at night. And oh, that was me on channel 4."

               So seeing Roger on "American Dad" brought it all back to me. I was able to say for a second that I was right. Or at least I could be right. Maybe there was an alien living in my attic. My Dad worked for the Government too, like Stan Smith! My God! I knew it aliens were real!!!!!

               What do you think? Is there an alien race, or am I just crazy......(don't answer that second half, we already know the answer to that...:)                 

No comments:

Post a Comment